My aloof and irresponsible year of awesomeness.

Hi, I am a bum. I am travelling. Live vicariously through my adventures. Become inspired, quit your job and go someplace cool!

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Its Keboperific! stop-man/go-man said so.


Subtitled: Adventures in Deutchland and Amsterdam.


I previously discovered the Doner Kebop (which is kind of like a Gyro only WAY BETTER) in Cork in Ireland. It was the first non-fried, potato-less food (besides Guinness) that I had eaten in the land of Eire. Let me tell you, the Germans really know how to do a Kebop! First off, they are everywhere (think of it as a similar ratio of Taco/burrito joints in the US...except Kebops are Turkish) secondly, when you are starving, and just got off the train at 1am in Munich, and there are about 12 Kebop places open for business on the way to the hostel, it is quite possibly the best most fabulous food ever! ( funny story about this, Lisa, Jen and I were so intent on obtaining our delicious, succulent, 3,00 euro (that is actually the most appealing aspect of the kebop) kebop goodness that we got a little lost trying to find our Hostel. Go Figure.

Here are the things I learned from Munich, Berlin, and Amsterdam:
-People actually do still wear leiderhosen (sp?) and I hear it is actually quite comfortable.
-the architect of the big cathedral made a deal with the devil to finish the building in 20years...and fooled the devil, so now there is the devil's footprint in the entranceway. (see photo below)


-In Bavaria beer comes in 2 sizes... .5Litre for Weisbier only, and 1 litre goblets for everything else (pils,hells, and dunkell). There is no other option unless you are a kid (and you would be surprised by the amount of kids who looked no older than 12 drinking, not the kiddie sized mind you..but the full litre...with their parents for lunch or something.
-Here are the major breweries in Munich: Augustiner (the best beer award, and you can only find it locally in Bavaria), Paulner, Spaten, Lowenbrau, Haufbrau (Haufbrauhaus wins the most amazing beer hall on the planet award.. complete with oompa bands liederhosen and funny hats!!) and Schneider Weiss (which had the best authentic food at their place)
-lets see, my neck was very sore when we got to Berlin. Most people would attribute this to the oh, 12 hour train ride from Munich to Berlin, I will attribute at least part of it to the fact that I was making out with a 6'5" german guy at a club the night before (hey now, we were in a club, thats what you do, you drink, you dance, and occasionally you smooch with the guy you are dancing with...this club was pretty cool though, it was like the IB in Geneseo only hopped up on crack, steriods and speed and it was huge...although they basically played the same music I remember from the IB when I frequented there, oh um 4 years ago, and there were a lot of drunk white people who can't dance there-myself included- so in that respect it was just like being back at college.)
-The older trains in Germany, the WC flushes right onto the tracks. I was very intrigued by this when I went to flush and I saw daylight and traintrack down the drain.
-Visiting a WWII Nazi concentration camp (Dachau) was probably one of the most intense experiences of my life (along with the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam). It gives you chills, I really can't quite describe it...but its cold. You know that scene in the 6th Sense where the ghosts visit the kid and it gets frigid. That is what it felt like. Chills.

-Berlin was really sweet as well. My favorite part of Berlin however were the ampelmann. I am kind of obsessed with them. They are the crosswalk lights in East Berlin, and they have a funny little man in a hat. Coolest x-walk signs ever! They are so cool, in fact that when the city was reunified after the wall came tumbling down (which was thought to be a drunken/hungover really big fuck-up by the communist pressman in '89..go figure) West Berlin gov't wanted to change the signs over to the more boring West Berlin signs and the people of East Berlin protested because they loved their ampelmann. It is also the easiest way to tell which part of the city you are in.
- I also bought a piece of the Berlin Wall (in postcard form). Which i thought was ironic. It probably is the biggest slap in the face to communism that capitalism can do. Selling the modern symbol of communism to tourists for a profit. Isn't capitalism great!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home